Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tenses


                  Simple


                  Past
               Present
                Future
Ø Subject +Verb 2+Object










 







Example:
 a. I watched movie in cinema
b. I bought a book yesterday


Meaning:
At one particular time in the past, this happened. It began and ended in the past

Ø Subject+Verb1+Object




 







Example:
a.     I  go to the market
b.     I watch television every day

Meaning:
In simple present, it is used to talk about an action which happens on a regular basis.


Ø Subject+  shall              +V1+Object
                  will
                  be going to



 






Example:
a.     I will watch television tonight
b.     I will snow tomorrow


            Meaning:
            At one particular time in the
            Future, this will happens

                    Continuous


                 Past
                Present
                Future
Ø  Subject + was / were + Ving



 
   10:00   11:00


Example:
a.     He was sleeping when I arrived
Meaning:  
He went to sleep at 10.00 last night. I arrived at 11.00. he was still asleep. His sleep began before and was in progress at a particular time in the past. It probably continued.
Ø  Subject + to be(am,is,are)+Ving


    10:00  11:00

Example:
a.     He is sleeping right now

Meaning: 
He went to sleep at 10:00 tonight. It’s now 11:00 and he is still asleep. His sleep began the past, is in progress at the present time, and probably will continue.
Ø  Subject + will be + Ving



 
                          10:00   11:00

Example:
a.     He will be sleeping when we arrive
Meaning: 
he will go to sleep at 10:00 tomorrow night. We will arrive at 11:00. The action of sleeping will begin before we arrive and it will be in progress at a particular time in the future. Probably his sleep will continue.
                       Perfect
               
                 Past
               Present
                 Future
Ø  Subject + had + V3 + Object
Ø  Subject + had + been +Adj + O
                                          N
   Eat      arrive
 
Example:
a.     I had already eaten when they arrived
Meaning:  First I finished eating. Later they arrived. My eating was completely finished before another time in the past

Ø  Subject + has/have + (V3/been) + object



 
   Eat           Now


 
Example:
a.     I have already eaten
Meaning:  I finished eating sometime before now. The exact time isn’t important.




Ø  Subject + will + have + V3 + O
Ø  Subject + will + have + been + O


 
                           Eat       arrive

Example:
a.     I will already have eaten when they arrive
Meaning:  First I will finish eating. Later they will arrive, my eating will be completely finished before another time in the future



               Perfect Continuous

                  Past
              Present
                 Future
Ø Subject + Had + Been + Ving + O



 



                     2hrs
Example:
a.     I had been studying for two hours before my friend came.
Meaning:  Event in progress: studying. When? Before another event in the past. How long? For two hours.
Ø Subject+has/have+ Been+ Ving +O



 



                            2hrs
Example:
a.     I have been studying for two hours
Meaning:  Event in progress: studying. When? Before now, up to now. How long? For two hours.
Ø Subject + have + been+ Ving + O



 



                                     2 hrs
Example:
a.     I will have been studying for two hours by the time you arrive
Meaning:  Event in progress: studying. When? Before another event in the future. How long? For two hours

No comments:

Post a Comment